OM Sri Varadaraja Perumal Temple Sri Kamakshi Devi Temple Sri Kamakshi Devi Temple Sri Kailasanathar Temple Gopuram Sri Ekambara Nathar Temple
Home | Forums | Terms & Conditions | Interesting articles | Video & Images | Some Recent Images (NEW!) | Email Us Refer this thread

Hindus Under Siege | About Dr. Swamy | Videos and Speeches |

Your use of this web site is subject to your agreement to the Terms & Conditions, and disclaimer. Do remember to see it and ensure that you agree with it.

Update on 24 Jul 2011: Registration issues have been fixed. You can now register yourselves and participate in the forum discussions. In case of issues, do remember to please email us.

Forums @ KanchiForum.org
Welcome to KanchiForum.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

Note: Hyperlinks in threads: Although they appear "truncated", the link actually is as posted by the user in a forum thread. No referring information is passed on clicking them.

Devotee experience with Sri MahaPerivaa (from Press)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums @ KanchiForum.org Forum Index -> Devotees' Experiences
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:15 pm    Post subject: Devotee experience with Sri MahaPerivaa (from Press) Reply with quote

Namaskarams!

We all thank the ardent devotee from Singapore, for sharing this information with us.

www.kanchiforum.org ...

This is huge document, so please allow sometime to download (2.68 MB)

Jaya Jaya Sankara! Hara Hara Sankara!

If you have some collections like this, please share with us. Appreciate using this topic only for devotees experiences.
naathigan
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dhanyavad admin and the devotee who share this with us. I'm blessed by the great Jnani.
Dravidadwija
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:43 am    Post subject: emperuman thiruviLaiyadal Reply with quote

Utterly humbling. The punya charitham reads like a Nayanar charithram or a Maha Bharatam episode. Holds pertinent lessons.

Late Sri Narayana Swami Iyer was fortunate; Paramacharya had guided him up to Kaasi. Humble namaskarams to the karunamurthi Paramacarya, Thiruvidai Maruthur Esan, Theperumanallur (late) Sri Venkatesa GanapAdigal and also to Thiruvaroor (late) Sri Narayana Swami Iyer.

Thanks to the devotee who published and to Adminji.

Hara Nama Parvati Pataye
Hara Hara Maha Deva

naathigan
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the one that I hit upon while searching of SriCaranar's greatness:

Ref: www.saileelas.org ...

Here, I am reminded of an incidence / instance how saints (SadGurus) solve the problems of their devotees with their divine power. (Daivika Sakthi) H.H. Kanchi Paramacharya Chandra Sekarendra Saraswathi swamigal (widely & popularly known as periaval) some decades ago was camping with his disciples on the banks of Hagari river (near Bellary) for observance of "Chatarmasa Vratam".

The farmers of Bellary district were reeling under severe drought condition. No water to drink and no water to sow seeds. (Bellary district is always a dry area in Karnataka area to scanty rainfall). All the farmers approached Swamiji and entreated with him to come out of their water problem. Swamiji, being moved with their pitiable condition, told them to do "VARUNA JAPAM" (invoking the Blessings of rain gods for pouring rains).

They told him that they have already performed "VARUNA JAPAM" continuously for 24hrs, previously but of no avail, and said "Swamiji if you bless us now, we will do it again. "Swamiji told them that his Blessings are always there on those who undertake such noble acts for world peace, and also asked them to start "VARUNA JAPAM" immediately and also chant the panchakshari (five syllabled mantra) "OM NAMA SIVAYA" continuously for 24hrs. This they did. Wonder of wonders !! It rained in cats & dogs. The farmers were immensely pleased and began to dance praising Swamiji's greatness (MAHIMA).

They uttered loudly "Bolo Swamiji Ki Jai, HARA HARA MAHADEVA" which thrilled everybody and the vibrations of this Jay Jayakar attracted the whole village and the news of the miracle (Pouring rains) of Swamiji's greatness spread like wild fire throughout Bellary Distrusts. People started coming in large numbers from all parts of Karnataka to have Swamiji's darshan and pay obeisance to him. Jaya Jaya Sankara Hara Hara Sankara. (This incidence was personally witnessed by Sai Jeevi, who with other Swamiji's devotees went to Hagari from Hubli to have his darshan and pay obeisance to him).
Newyorksharma
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject: In English please? Reply with quote

Namaskaram -

Can someone please translate this to English and help the Tamil challenged amongst us? A brief summary would be great too ..

thanks!!

Radhe Krishna, NYS

naathigan
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is about the Periyava as told by a devotee in a discussion forum immediately after the shameful act:

Quote:
I would like to share what my grand father told me about Sri Jayendra Sarswati. Since he was actively touring with the sankaracharya. Once the sankaracharya and all is followers(including my grandfather)were put in a village, and staying in a school. In the middle of the night lots of rats were roaming around and creating havoc. All were in the favour of killing them, but the sankaracharya, instructed firmly, that man should not go against any animal. And was strongly against killing them or using any rat medicinces to kill them.

Krishnan
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYSji and other "tamil Challenged" (nicely coined) devotees, Am attempting the translation. Keep chanting "Na Ma Si Va Ya"... for me to complete it. Thank you.

Hara Hara Sankara
ABHIRAMI
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:44 am    Post subject: PARAMACHARYA'S BLESSINGS Reply with quote

Last week - my close suffered a heart attack in Chennai (last Thursday night). He is in Chennai and family in Madurai.

Thankfully he called his local friends and admitted him in a hospital in Kodambakkam and was in ICU. I am a very close friend of his and was very disturbed since we had visited the Matham, Tirupati and sabarimala together in sep 06. Doctors carried out tests and told his who came down from Madurai that his heart was functioning only at 36% and that he may have to go undergo a bypass.

I visited Nerul kamakshi kovil and went to the temple l of Paramcharya's photos. I am very attached to one old photograph of his which radiates even today. I sat in front of it and sang "apara karuna ....." with tears in my eyes and prayed for my friends health with a prayer that he be cured without any operation.

On Wednesday my friend was admitted to Apollo where they carried out an angiogram.

The doctors concluded that there is no need for angioplasty or bypass and that he can be cured by medicines. My friend's wife called up and in between tearful cries told me this good news. I told her I am sure that Mahaperiyava had showered his blessings on the couple. I spoke to him today and he had this to say.... "when I suffered the attack I looked at mahaperiayava's photo and started praying . It is Mahaperiyava who saved me".

Apara karuna sindhum gnanadham shanta rupinum
sree chandrasekhara gurum pranamami
Krishnan
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel very privileged in giving the translation of an episode, published in a tamil magazine. For copyright issues, please pray to MahaPeriyava.

Tiruvidaimarudoor, near Kumbakonam in Tanjore district is famous for a Siva Temple, Sri Maha Linga Swami.

Many years ago, on a Chitra Pournima day, an Abhishegam for Sri Maha Linga swami was performed with the chanting of Rudra Japa. It was a grand success. With 11 Vedic Pundits, it started at 8am and finished by 1pm. Sri Narayanaswami Iyer (NI), the head of the village (Mirasudar), an ardent Maha Periyava devotee, organised the whole event.

Very eager to offer the Rudra-Prasad to Maha Periyava, NI reached Kanchi the very next day. He had packed the Prasad in a plantain-leaf covered with a new silk shawl.

At Kanchi, after finishing the daily Puja, Sri Maha Periyava was giving dharshan. A lot of people were waiting for the dharshan. When his turn came, NI was shivering and lost his voice. He did a sashtanga namaskaram. Maha Periyava looked at him and raised his brows, meaning “Whats the news?”

NI opened his prasad packet, kept it in a plate and offered it to Maha Periyava – still shivering in reverence. The Prasad offering had vibhuthi, Kumkum, chandan, vilva leaves, 2 half coconuts, and bananas.

Maha Periyava: “ This prasad is from which Kshetram?”
NI: “ Periyava, I organized a Rudra abhishegam yesterday in Tiruvidaimarudoor for Maha Linga Swami. I brought this Prasad for Periyava from there. I am offering it for Periyava’s anugraham”.

MahaPeriyava was looking at that plate containing the Prasad. And then asked him: “Narayanaswami, you are a rich man; still did you share the expense with someone else for this Abhishegam?”
NI: “No Periyava…I bore all the expenses myself”
Maha Periyava was smiling after hearing the emphasis on “I, myself”.

Maha Periyava: “You performed this abhishegam for Loka Kshemam?”
NI: “No Periyava…for the last 2 or 3 years we are not getting good harvest from the fields…..some lands have not yielded anything…..Muthu Josiyar asked me to conduct a Rudra Abhisegam on Chitra Pournima day for the best yields….I did that after believing him, Periyava”

The Acharya still has not accepted the Prasad. “ This means that you did not do it for aathmaartham or Loka Kshemam….!”, saying this, Maha Periyava closed his eyes and meditated for 15 minutes. When He opened His eyes, one could understand that He was very clear as to what had happened.

Maha Periyava: “Ok. How many Brahmmanals were there?”
NI: “Eleven Pundits were there, Periyava”
“ Who are they, you only organised them, right? From which place are they ?” this was Maha Periyava.

By now the devotees around were wondering why Sri MahaPeriyava was so inquisitive. NI took out a paper and read out the names. ".......Tiruvidaimarudoor Venkatrama Sastrigal, Srinivasa Ganapadigal, Rajagopala Swouthigal…..” MahaPeriyava intervened, “ Oh… all of them are great Vedic Pundits….just see in your list, if you have Thepperumanallur Venkatesa Ganapadigal”.
Krishnan
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NI was very happy to find that name in his list. He exploded: “yes, yes, Periyava, he was there yesterday….”

Mahaperiyava : “besh….besh…..Venkatesa Ganapadigal was also there…Very good. He is a great Vedic Pundit! He is getting very old now. Nowadays he chants Rudra Japam with great difficulty.”

As if he got the point, NI immediately said: “ You are very correct, Periyava. He did not do the Rudra Japam properly. Most of the times he was sitting with his eyes closed without chanting…..and the number of Japams got reduced because of that……I was wondering why I invited him”.

Maha Periyava got annoyed with NI. “ Just because you have money, you cannot assume you can say anything! Do you know the qualification of Thepperumanallur Venkatesa Ganapadigal? You are not even comparable to the dust in his feet. How can you say that about him? Now I understand what happened yesterday. Now you answer me. When he was sitting with his eyes closed, did you not go to him and shout at him saying ‘ For the money you are getting, why is your mouth keeping shut?’

There was absolute silence there. The devotees were stunned. NI, who was at ease a minute ago, started shivering again, fell down on his knees, got up, closed his mouth with his palm and with tears in eyes said, “ I was wrong, Priyava…please, please forgive me. To Ganapadigal, I said exactly what you just now described. Please forgive me”

“ Wait, that is not it. There is more. Did you give dhakshina to every Pundit? How much did you give?” – Maha Periyava.

“ I gave ten rupees to each of them” – NI, with great difficulty.

“ I know everything….tell me again. Did you give ten rupees to everyone?” – Maha Periyava.

NI was quiet. But Maha Periyava did not leave him. “ You are ashamed to tell me. I will tell you what happened. You offered the ten rupee sambhavana to each Pundit. When you came near the Thepperumanallur Ganapadigal, you reduced the sambhavana to seven rupees since you thought he did not do the Japams continuously. You felt vindicated by this! And you were happy! But the Ganapadigal did not care. He smiled at you and took it……Tell me all this is true?”

The devotees did not know how Maha Periyava knew all this. NI was stunned and silent. He repeatedly pleaded guilty and said he would never ever do such things in future.

While Narayanaswamy Iyer was feeling ashamed and was pleading guilty, Maha Periyava did not stop there.
Quote:
NYSji and other Tamil Challenged: Please wait, Krishnanji's translation not only as descriptive as the original but like Maha Perivaa made all the readers cry on reading the article, Krishnanji's translation also will do so when it nears the climax, Thanks Krishanji for your help-Moderator

Krishnan
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well.....please pardon me - unable to type with tears in my eyes.........

Jaya Jaya Sankara
Krishnan
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While Narayanaswamy Iyer was feeling ashamed and was pleading guilty, Maha Periyava did not stop there. “Wait…I would have been happy if it ended here. Did you organise lunch for all of them at Ramachandra Iyer’s house?”

“Yes, Yes, Periyava” – NI.
“ You served very well……the Chakra Pongal was like Amrut, made with a lot of cashews and raisins; overflowing with ghee… was served personally by you. Right?” – Maha Periyava.

“ Yes Periyava, I served the Chakra Pongal myself” – NI was pleased to say this.

“While serving, did you do it with clear conscience and follow the proper etiquette and decorum? “ – Maha Periyava.

No response from NI. “OK. I will tell you. Since it tasted very good, all the Pundits enjoyed it and asked for more Chakra Pongal. You also served them more and more. But when you saw Thepperumanallur Ganapadigal asking for more, not once but many times, you pretended as if you did not even hear him! So many times he asked for more! Yet, not once did you respond. Is this dharma? You cheated him off….You played so dirty. You deceived him, you betrayed him, you insulted him!”. Acharya looked very upset and sad.

NI was standing there, fully ashamed of himself. Maha Periyava changed his position and sat straight as if Lord Parameshwara was sitting there. After 15 minutes of silence and meditation, Maha Periyava opened His eyes. “Mirasudarvaal, you must understand one thing. The Ganapadigal is now 81. He has been chanting Rudra Japam from the age of 16 at many Siva temples. Sri Rudram is embodied in every nerve of his, and runs in his breadth and his blood. He is such a Maha Purush. What you displayed was absolute sin. Nothing but sin”. Maha periyava could not talk any more. After a while, He continued.
Krishnan
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maha Periyava continued: “The insult you heaped on him affected him thoroughly. Do you know what he did? He did not go back to his village. Yesterday evening he went straight to Maha Linga Swami temple. After three pradhakshinas, he stood in front of the Swami and do you know what he prayed for?”

Maha Periyava had difficulty talking. He continued after some time…”with tears rolling down his cheeks, ‘Appa Jothi Maha Lingam! You know I am your ardent devotee. You have heard my Rudra Japams so may times in your Sannidhi, from my young years. I am now 81. Am very strong at heart, but the strength in my voice has diminished. You are well aware of what happened during lunch today. That Chakra Pongal.... was so tasty…. And leaving aside my shame, I was pleading for some more….so many times. That Mirasudaar just pretended as if he did not hear me and went away. You know I like Chakra Pongal so much….I felt so bad that he did not serve me more in spite of my pleading. But later on, I realised that I should not have that kind of attachment to a mere dish. That’s why I am standing in front of you. When people go to Kasi, they give up a vegetable and a fruit. You are the same Lingam in Kasi as well. That’s why I am promising you that from this minute on, till my jeevan leaves this body, I am giving up not just Chakra Pongal, but any sweet dish. I will not touch. Maha Lingam, this is my promise… I am taking leave of you’. So saying, with more tears from his eyes, the Ganapadigal left for his village. Now you tell me, Narayanaswamy Iyarvaal, was it not a sin you committed? Will Maha Linga Swami accept your actions?”

Maha Periyava stopped here. It was 3pm. He refused the Biksha for the day. No one left that place. Tears in everyone’s eyes.

NI fell on Maha Periyava’s feet. He was sobbing, uncontrollably. Unable to speak, but still managed to say, “ Periyava, I feel very very ashamed. I made a big mistake. I will never do this mistake in my life. Please pardon me. Please, Periyava. Please tell me that you forgive me….Please take this Maha Linga Prasad and pardon me. Please Periyava”. Even then Maha Periyavaa didn't touch the Prasadams brought by NI but firmly said
“ Wait for a while, that Maha Linga Swami himself will give me anugraham for Prasadam”.

Just then a Pundit aged around 65, looking fresh with rudraksha around his neck holding a plate arrived there. He told Maha Periyava: “ My name is Maha Lingam. I am the Archagar in Tiruvidaimarudoor temple.
Krishnan
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pundit continued: ”Yesterday there was a Rudra Abhishegam for Maha Linga Swami. I came to offer the Prasad to Periyava and take His blessings”.

When he was going to do Namaskaram, Maha Periyava stopped him saying “ those who got Siva Dheeksha should not do Namaskaram to me”. MahaPeriyava took the Prasadam and offered Matam’s ‘return gift’ – prasad. By then the Archagar saw NI and said, “ Periyava, he is Narayanaswamy Iyer. He was the one who organised the Abhishegam yesterday.” Then the Archagar took leave from Maha Periyava and left.

NI told Maha Periyava repeatedly that he made a big mistake and asked for Prayaschittam- ‘how can I wash this sin?’

Acharyal got up and said, ” I cannot tell you the Prayaschittam for this. Only Thepperumanallur Venkatesa Ganapadigal can tell you”. “But will he tell me, after whatever I did?” asked NI. In a loud voice, Maha Periyava said: “ If you have the Praaptham he will tell you”. So saying, He went inside to His room.

Maha Periyava did not come out for long. NI now decided to meet the Ganapadigal. He took a bus and reached Thepperumanallur next day. He wanted to plead for pardon from the Ganapadigal, get his blessings and then only go back to his place. When he reached the Ganapadigal’s house, he saw a lot of people there………the Ganapadigal left for his heavenly abode early that morning! What Maha Periyava said hit his head: “ If you have the Praaptham, he will tell you”.

He said to himself, “Maha Periyava knew I did not have the Praaptham – what a big sinner am I”. However, he did Namaskaram to the Ganapadigal’s body and left for his village back.

Later on, Narayanaswamy Iyer did a lot of service for the Mutts in the North and obtained Mukhti in Kasi.

Jaya Jaya Sankara Hara Hara Sankara.
venkat07
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krishnan wrote:
NYSji and other "tamil Challenged" (nicely coined) devotees, Am attempting the translation. Keep chanting "Na Ma Si Va Ya"... for me to complete it. Thank you.
Hara Hara Sankara

Sri Krishnanji,

My shashtang namaskars to you for this jewel. Blessed are those who are able to share such jewels with others.

Vandey Guru Paramparaam
Dravidadwija
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:25 pm    Post subject: hara hara mahadeva Reply with quote

Superb, Sri Krishnanji
By your meticulous translation you have done justice to the original narration by Sri S. Ramani Anna. I am sure this would have made him proud. It is not easy to translate such a rendering from (our) mani pravALa tamizh to English but that work had fallen to capable hands is obvious by the result. Now all the Tamizh challenged people have a compelling reason to thank you. The message and the rasam have been well carried forward with out sedaram. Regards.

I still long for the nOkku, nEkku tamizh. Our mother tongue so to say. How soft, how sweet. May mother Kamakshi protect this dialect for us.

Jaya Jaya Sankara Hara Hara Sankara
harini
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Krishnanji

My namaskarams to you for this truly moving episode. It not only points out the respect with which we should treat learned pundits however old or infirm they may be but also the importance of chanting Sri Rudram.

By your translation you havehelped me undertake not only to chant the Sri Rudram everyday but to show more respect to my father, who at 87, continues to chant it every single day.

May the Paramacharya bless me - us all for that matter - to become a better human being.
Krishnan
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dravidadwijaji, it was more Tinglish than English translation. There are no equivalent words in English for many tamil words and expressions. Ramani Anna's language is so beautiful that it is impossible to bring about the exact scene in front of you in any other language.

Like Sudharshanji of RSS said, there is no equivalent word for DHARMA in any foreign language. How does one translate what Maha Periyava said, 'Pandhi dharmam'?

Thank you Hariniji. The disregard which we show in general towards Vedic Pundits/ Shastris must be removed and we shall start developing a respect towards them. I think that indeed is a good lesson. Can we cultivate our children towards this? .........om om........

Jaya Jaya Sankara Hara Hara Sankara.
bhahusruth
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Krishnanji,

I am not competent to congratulate you.

I only thank Sri Dravidadwijaji for having led us in showering his compliments on our behalf.

I pray to His Holiness that you get more occasions to write in the service of Gurus and for the understanding of bakthAs.

Namaskarams.

BHAHUSRUTH
anushachennai
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sri Krishnan

Thanks for such a narration.

This a great lesson that we shall learn. Maha Perival has ordained that we shall show utmost respect to the Vedic Pundits.
thailar
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Radhe Krishna Sri Krishnan Ji,
The incident and narration brought so much tears that I could not read it in one stretch. It is a lesson for all of us. Now I am crying which sannidhi should I go and give up what......... NI is lucky that Sri mahaperiyaval told him right then and there.
Radhe Krishna and thanks with namaskarams
Radhe Krishna and namaskarams
T
saidevo
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MahaPeriyava's greatness can only be experienced (personally or vicariously), not described in words. Every experience involving MahaPeriyava brings tears to the eyes, but this one is really a bolt from the blue! I feel blessed by him with this kind of a chance to glance at him.

1. The way he brought out the pride in Mirasudar publicly, censured his atrocious behaviour, made him realize and repent for his mistake and showed him the proper course of redemption (though the man was unfortunate not to have it), while displaying genuine concern for his haughty devotee who went astray -- only a maha karunAmurthi can do it. Even to receive such high censure and get corrected on the spiritual path was a reward for the unfortunate man.

2. The surging compassion MahaPeriyavaa displayed for the great Vedic Pundit (Sri Venkatesa Ganapadigal), his empathy for the man's (what turned out to be) an unfulfilled last wish, and the Ganapadigal's vairagyam that eased out his life out of the body, and Mahaperiyava's (rarely displayed) dhyanic power that understood it all -- makes a humble devotee steeped in awe and bayabhakti, serving as a lesson he/she better follow.

3. MahaPeriyava receiving the very same prasadam (that he would not accept from the Mirasudar) from the Maha Linga Swamy temple Itself, and his stunning declaration "Nekku ellam teriyum" (I know everything) -- a rare jewel of splendour from this sarvajnah who is mostly very silent about his power.

4. The navarasa MahaPeriyava displayed in this episode drowns the reader in a rain of tears that truly washes the imputiries away.

My sincere thanks to the admin, Sri Krishnan, and the original author who described it all in Shakti Vikatan.
admin
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:13 pm    Post subject: Magic Clock - Mandira Kadigaram Reply with quote

Another instance - Please use Vikatan font. Thanks to the author and publishers.

www.kanchiforum.org ...

varadaraja sharma
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Radhe Krishna

Albeit lately, I am blessed to read the mahalingaswamy temple narration. I doubt whether anyone would have read without filled eyes. Pray that aseema krupa bless me so that I never hurt any soul in speech and action.

Namaha Shivaya

Radhe Krishna

Krishna Sastri
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Om Nama Sivaya Sri Krishnan, after reading your translation I felt so very humble at the thought of the great Master we all are blessed with.

"Engum Easan enaadhavarkkillaiye."

Namaskaram,
Krishna Sastri

Anu Rangan
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sri Krishnan ji,

thank you very much for the translation. Naan vikki vikki azhuthen.

saidevo
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Magic Clock - Mandira Kadigaram Reply with quote

admin wrote:
Another instance - Please use Vikatan font. Thanks to the author and publishers.

www.kanchiforum.org ...

MahaperiyavaL's Magical Timepiece!
Author: Sri Ramani Anna (in Tamil)
Source: Sakthi Vikatan issue dated Dec 04, 2006

Kanchi Paramacharya was once camping with his entourage in a choultry at Pudukottai, Tamilnadu, on his way to Tirunelveli. After completing the Chandramouleesvara puja on the night he reached there, Swamiji was seated before retiring for the night.

He called Nagarajan, a youth who was assisting and told him, "Appa, Nagu! I need to get up at three-thirty early morning tomorrow for my snAna. You remember it!"

The youth Nagu with great reverence replied, "As you order, Periyavaa! As you told me now, at exactly three-thirty in the morning, I shall sing the namAvali hara hara sankara... jaya jaya sankara."

Swamiji smiled as he understood Nagu's words. He asked him, "Since it won't be proper to say 'I shall wake you up at three-thirty Periyavaa', you said you will sing hara hara sankara... jaya jaya sankara!"

Nagu grinned sheepishly. He did not know what to answer.

"Alright, do as you please!" Swamiji went to his room.

It was eleven in the night. The choultry was steeped in sleep. Swamiji had also retired. Nagu couldn't sleep. Worry caught hold of him. There was not a single wall clock or alarm timepiece in that choultry. What he had was a very old watch presented by his uncle on the occasion of his upanayanam. He was not used to wear it on the wrist as he was with the sage most of the time. The watch was taking refuge in his old trunk. He did not touch it after winding it up every day and setting the time.

The apprehension 'How could I wake up Periyavaa, if I wasn't awake at three-thirty?' took hold of him. Coming to a final decision, he went to the store room and retrieved his watch from his trunk. He came silently to the entrance of Swamiji's room and seated himself on the floor. He started chanting Vishnu Sahasranama silently, taking care that no sound escaped from him. Looking at his watch now and then, he was reciting the verses in repeated cycles.

When it was 3:30 exactly, Nagu got up, wiped his eyes, folded his hands, looked at Swamiji's room sang the hara hara sankara... jaya jaya sankara in a low voice. Within moments, the door opened. AcharyaL came out smiling, with the tejas of Lord Shiva himself and gave Nagu his suprapAda darshan. Only Nagu had the blessing to get this darshan on that day.

AcharyaL slowly walked up to the entrance of the choultry. Nagu rushed to make arrangements for the sage's bath. The choultry woke up gradually.
saidevo
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The next night, and the next, Nagu's pattern of staying awake, singing Vishnu Sahasra Namam and the hara hara sankara namavali continued.

On the fourth night when Nagu was doing his routine, tucking his watch at his waist, he fell asleep inadvertently. Suddenly he was awakened by a divine voice singing hara hara sankara... jaya jaya sankara. Jolted out of sleep, Nagu saw the smiling AcharyaL, his face replete with compassion.

Swamiji said with vAtsalya, "My child! It is exactly three-thirty now. Seems you slept because of tiresomeness. With a full day's service, it is natural you would have the strain." Smiling, Swamiji started walking slowly towards the entrance of the choultry. Nagu confirmed that the time was 3:30 from his watch at his waist.

He was wonderstruck and confused at the sage waking up at the right time. The divine voice singing the namavali echoed in his ears repeatedly. He hadn't heard such a song from the sage earlier.

It was eleven on the next night. Swamiji had retired. Nagu vowed to himself that he would stay awake at any cost the whole night. He had also brought water in a small brass pot, to wipe his eyes if he was overwhelmed by sleep.

The time was 2:30 in the night. Though he had managed until then, Nagu couldn't stay awake any further despite his best efforts, so he folded up sleeping on the floor.

The door opened. AcharyaL came out slowly. He saw the sleeping Nagu and the brass water pot on his side. He understood and laughed.

"hara hara sankara... jaya jaya sankara. Appa, Nagu wake up!" Swamiji called softly. Nagu got up, jolted to wakefulness and saw the smiling sage before him.

"Nagu, it is exactly three-thirty. Poor boy, you couldn't get up in time today also. Alright, arrange for my bath." Swamiji proceeded to the entrance as he did usually. Nagu wondered as he checked the time.

After the afternoon puja, Swamiji was seated alone. Nagu went and prostrated to him and stood nearby meekly without uttering a word.

Swamji began the conversation: "Appa Nagu, from your namaskaram it seems that you want to know something from me. What is it, ask me, don't feel shy."

Nagu hesitated and tried, "It is nothing, Periyavaa." Swamiji laughed. "I understand what your mind wants to ask me. When you couldn't stay awake with a watch on you, you are confused as to how Periyavaa could get up at the exact time, when he does not have any sort of timepiece! Right?"

Slightly emboldened, Nagu said, "Yes, Periyavaa. In spite of my best efforts, I somehow went sleeping at the time when I should have been awake. And you got up and awakened me at the exact time of three-thirty. I am ashamed Periyavaa. How does Periyavaa know the exact time..."
saidevo
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swamiji interruped him and said, "You have the doubt that some karna yakshini tells me the time!" and laughed loudly.

"It was not that Periyavaa. Just a curiosity to know..." Nagu hesitated.

Swamiji continued: "No yakshini told the time in my ear. It was a bus that told me the time! The T.V.S. bus of Madurai T.V. Sundaram Iyengar's company. When I came out on the first morning after you awakened me with your namAvali, I noticed a bus pass by the choultry gate. On the next two mornings also a bus got past the choultry gate at three-thirty! On inquiry, I was told that it was the first bus of the T.V.S. company in the morning that arrives at Pudukottai from Madurai. There was not a second of difference in the exact time of three-thirty when the bus passed by the gate, day after day. People used to say that you can adjust your watch using the time of arrival of a T.V.S. bus at a particular place. I understood they were right! From the fourth morning, I got up as I heard the noise of the bus. There is no other secret in this, Nagu!" Swamiji laughed, absorbed in himself.

Nagu was just looking intently at the face of Swamiji, as he finished his reply.

Glossary
karna yakshini - god of the ears
snAna - bath
namaskaram - the action of prostrating
namAvali - a series of God names
suprapada darshan - having darshan of a sage when he gets up in the morning
tejas - divine splendour
upanayanam - the Hindu thread ceremony
vAtsalya - affection
saidevo
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In consultation with Sri Anusha Chennai ji and KF Admin ji, I have posted below a disclaimer for my Translations that takes into account any copyright considerations:

Disclaimer for my Translations

These English translations done by me of Paramacharya darshan and experiences of devotees from their original presentations in print and other media are posted here with the sole intention of carrying the divine message of Paramachaya to the members of Kanchi Forum, for a discussion among the members so as to understand and practice the directions contained in the message.

As a translator, I have no commercial interests or financial considerations in spreading Paramacharya's message and darshan experiences, and have no claims of copyright for the translations.

I have duly quoted the source of these translations, and I hereby acknowledge the credits to the publications, authors, devotees and any other people concerned. Since Paramacharya is the real source, I understand that the original credit of these materials accrues to SriMatam, followed by the other people involved in spreading Paramacharya's message.

If anyone involved with these publications has any reservations on the implicit consents and permissions assumed in these translations, for the spiritual benefit of mankind, the same may be brought to the notice of Kanchi Forum Administrator, for necessary changes or removal of the material presented.

'saidevo', as translator of the material presented.
admin
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Namaskarams!

More work to SaiDevoji - Here is another piece - from this week Sakthi Vikatan. Please use Vikatan font to enjoy in Tamil.

www.kanchiforum.org ...

saidevo
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

admin wrote:
Namaskarams!
More work to SaiDevoji - Here is another piece - from this week Sakthi Vikatan. Please use Vikatan font to enjoy in Tamil.

www.kanchiforum.org ...

"A Double-Stringed Chain in Eight Sovereigns?"
Author: Sri Ramani Anna (in Tamil)
Source: Sakthi Vikatan issue dated Dec 20, 2006

An early morning, many years ago. It was slightly drizzling. Maha Periyavaa was seated in solitude at Kanchi Sri Sankara maTham. After the bhaktas had darshan of him, Swamiji arose to go to his room. Just then an old grandam and a young woman came running and prostrated to the sage. Swamiji sat down again, looking a bit keenly at them.

With happiness crawling on his face, Swamiji said, "adede! is it Meenakshi Paatti? What a wonder you have come in the morning time? Who is near you? Your granddaughter? What name?"

Meenakshi Paatti said, "Periyavaa! I am coming to the maTham to have your darshan for ever so many years. Till today I haven't informed SwamigaL about me. There was no such opportunity. But then, it has come now. This girl standing by my side is my granddaughter born through my daughter. Since she was born in this town, we named her Kamakshi. I had only one daughter, and she closed her eyes twelve years ago, leaving this girl to my care. Some disease she had. Her husband also died before her due to a heart attack.

"Since then I am plodding on alone with this girl. I put her in a school. Study didn't get into her head. So I stopped it with her fifth grade. Now she is fifteen years old. My duty will be over once I give her hand to a man!"

AcharyaL listened to her patiently. "I understood when I saw you come here and stand before me in the early morning itself, that you who used to bring pArijAta puS^pam for Chandramouleesvara puja every morning around ten o' clock, have come to me now with a purpose. What is the news?" he said.

Hesitating at first, Meenakshi Paatti began: "Nothing, Periyavaa. A suitable alliance has come up for this girl. The boy is also from this place. School teacher. Sixty rupees salary. Good family. No demand-and-take harassments. They say that both the horoscopes match well. Somehow only you should perform this marriage, Periyavaa!" Paatti prostrated to him.

AcharyaL's tone showed some heat as he chided her: "What? I should perform the marriage? What are you talking?" Within moments he cooled down and said, "Alright, what do you expect me to do?"
saidevo
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paatti was happy. "It's like this, Periyavaa! I have somehow managed to save five thousand rupees for her marriage. I can complete the marriage within that amount. But then the boy's mother has said compulsively, 'Paatti, whatever or however you do it, you must present a double-stringed, eight-sovereign gold chain for the neck of your granddaughter!' I couldn't do anything big by way of jewels-and-bolts for her within my income. I have arranged just a bangle of one sovereign each for each hand of this girl. Only that is possible for me. Where can I go for an eight-sovereign double-stringed chain, Periyavaa? Only you--"

Before she could finish, Swamiji asked her with some anger: "Tell me, you want me to provide her with a double-stringed chain in eight-sovereigns?"

Meenkshi Paatti prostrated to him and rose. Patting her cheeks loudly, she said, "apacAram, apacAram, Periyavaa. I am not coming to say that. A number of rich and big people come for your darshan daily. Could you not gesture to any of them to arrange for the eight-sovereign double-strined chain?" Paatti asked him longingly.

"What? To gesture to the big people who come for a darshan? There is no such practice. If you want, you seek some other alliance where they don't demand eight or ten sovereigns! Only that is better for you." Swamiji got up.

Meenakshi Paatti said anxiously, "I pray that Periyavaa shouldn't leave me with such advise! This is a very good alliance, Periyavaa. The boy has a sanguine temperament. They got their own girls married with a gift of an eight-sovereign double-stringed chain each. Therefore they desire that the girl coming as their daughter-in-law should also come with a double-stringed chain. Nothing else, Periyavaa. Only you should provide me with guidance in the matter!" Paatti begged the sage.

AcharyaL, who had got up, sat down again. He was immersed in deep thoughts for sometime. Then he started talking with compassion: "Will you do something I suggest now?"

"I will do it definitely. Please tell me what!" Paatti was excited.

"Go to the Kamakshi Amman temple tomorrow with your granddaughter. Both of you pray to Her, 'This marriage should take place grandly with the required eight-sovereign double-stringed chain provided. Only You should arrange it, Amma!' and do pradakSiNa of the sannidhi five times. Prostrate before ambAL five times and go home. Pray this way for five days. Kamakshi will arrange the things as you have desired in your mind." AcharyaL blessed them smilingly.

As she prostrated and got up, Meenakshi Paatti said, "What is it Periyavaa, you suggest everything five times!" She asked with eagerness, "If I do it that way, AmbaL Kamakshi will surely arrange my granddaughter Kamakshi's marriage?"
saidevo
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I am not suggesting the five-times requirement myself. AmbaL has the adulation panca saMkhyopacAriNi. She grants favours happily when she is worshipped in multiples of five." Swamiji said, "I told you only that, nothing else!"

"When do we start this, Periyavaa?"

Swamiji smiled. "It has been said shubhasya shIghram. Today is Friday. Why, you start today itself." He said and bid them farewell.

With her granddaughter beside her, Paatti walked towards Kamakshi Amman temple. Since it was Friday, there was a heavy rush in the temple. Mother Kamakshi dazzled in full splendour due to special adornments of that day. Both of them closed their eyes and prayed as advised by Periyavaa. Paatti had an arcanA performed in her granddaughter's birth star and secured the prasAdam.

Then they both prayed to Amman about the eight-sovereign double-stringed chain and went around the inner courtyard clockwise five times. Then they prostrated to AmabaL five times as Swamiji had suggested. With faith in heart, they went back home.

On Saturday morning, Paatti started from her house with her granddaughter. Collecting the coral-jasmine flowers, she hurried to Sankara maTham. There was a heavy rush in the maTham. Meenakshi Paatti was standing in the queue some twenty or thirty bhaktas behind. She heard what the person before her was telling his neighbour with concern. 'Today is the day of the anushA star. PeriyavaL's birth star. So Swamiji has taken up a vow of silence today. He wouldn't talk to anybody. Only mukha darshan.'

Anxiety got hold of Meenakshi Paatti. She worried, 'I thought of reminding Periyavaa about the eight-sovereign double-stringed chain, but it seems that won't be possible now.' When they got near Periyavaa, they prostrated to him. That para brahmaM was sitting with no sign of life in him. Paatti paused, yearning that he would ask something about the chain. Swamiji's assistant told her a bit sternly, "Paatti, move away please! Periyavaa adopts a vow of silence today. He won't talk. See, how many people are waiting behind you!"

She made her way towards Kamakshi Amman temple, along with her granddaughter. As advised by Periyavaa, they performed the panca saMkhyopacAra worship on that day and got back home. Maha Swamiji continued the vow of silence on the following two days also. Paatti and her granddaughter could only have a darshan of the sage at the maTham. Paatti started worrying, 'Four out of five days has gone by since Periyavaa's advice but nothing happened! Will Mother Kamakshi open her eyes and bless me or not?' She could only grieve within herself.
saidevo
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It dawned on Tuesday. Sri Kanchi maTham was very brisk on that day. A bhajan troupe from Arani was immersing the maTham in bhaktic ecstasy.

AcharyaL came and sat in his usual place. There was such a maha tejas in his face! He had dissolved his vow of silence. There was a large crowd waiting for PeriyavaL's darshan. A middle-aged maami in the queue prostrated to Swamiji happily as her turn came. Happiness was writ on her face. She submitted the things she had brought--a large bunch of rastaLi bananas, un-shorn coconuts, sweet lemons, oranges, pumpkins, and chubby raw-bananas--and prostrated again.

Swamiji smiled to himself as he glanced at the items kept before him. Then he narrowed his eyes and looked keenly at the woman. "Aren't you Ambujam, wife of Needamangalam landowner Ganesa Iyer? You came two months back. Told me something, feeling sad. Looking at the way you have come now with a large banana bunch, it seems that your problems would have been solved by the grace of Kamakshi, right?"

Ambujam prostrated again and said, "True, Periyavaa. My only daughter Mythili was made to stay away from her husband's home for the last three years. Two months back I came running to you, reported this humiliation and wept. It was you who advised me to do five circumambulations and five prostrations for five days and perform ablution and worship in the Kamakshi Amman temple of this town. I completed them with extreme care, and what a wonder, fifteen days back, my son-in-law Radhakrishnan who works in Jamshedpur Tata Steel Plant came over himself and took his wife Mythili back with him. It's all that Kamakshi's grace and your blessings, Periyavaa!" Tears of joy filled her eyes as she spoke.

Swamiji said, "Besh, besh, very glad. Let the dampati rest in prosperity! By the way, where did you get such a big bunch of bananas? Looks massive!" Swamiji's laughter rolled by like thunder.

Ambujam said smilingly, "This bunch was harvested from our own banana bed, Periyavaa; which is why it is so big!" She spoke with humility.

Showing happiness, Swamiji ordered her, "Alright, only Amma Kamakshi has rejoined your daughter and son-in-law. So you offer this big banana bunch to Her and distribute the fruits to the bhaktas who visit the shrine."

Ambujam said, "No no, Periyavaa. Let it remain in this sanctum. I have an identical bunch to offer to AmbaL. Now I seek your leave to have a darshan of AmbaL, complete my prayers and get back here." She prostrated.

"BeshA! After completing your prayers you must take food in the maTham and then only should get back to your place. Remember it!" Swamiji gave her his consent to leave him.
saidevo
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was not much crowd in Kamakshi Amman temple on that day. It was eleven in the morning. As it was later than usual, Meenakshi Paatti hurried to the temple with her granddaughter. She halted at the shop selling arcanA packs, and told her granddaughter, "Hey Kamakshi! Today is the day of completion. So we shall do everything in five numbers as told by AcharyaL. What you do, get five arcanA packs with five coconuts, five bananas, betel leaves, nuts, etc. and come back running!" and gave her the required money.

The granddaughter bought the things as ordered. Paatti performed the arcanAs to AmbaL and prayed Her with tearful eyes, 'Amma Kamakshi, I am completely depending on You only! I have no refuge except You and SwamigaL. Only You should arrange for the eight-sovereign double-string chain and complete my granddaughter's marriage in a fitting manner.' As Paatti sobbed, her granddaughter was also moved and wept. Then they started going round the inner couryard from left to right. They were on their fourth round.

"Paatti... Paatti... Paattee!" Meekakshi Paatti looked back at the loud call from her granddaughter and chided her angrily, "Why do you cry so loud? What have you lost to raise such a noise?"

"Nothing lost Paatti, but something gained! Please come here, I shall show you!" She took her grandma to a corner, opened her right palm and showed her something. It was a severed, double-stringed chain with a front.

"Where did you find that?" Paatti asked with surprise. Her granddaughter said, "As I was coming behind you with a bowed head, my eyes chanced on this chain. I took it at once, and no one had noticed me! This chain is severed Paatti. Check if it is original or just a coated one."

Paatti took the chain in her hands to guess its weight. She said, "Looks like sovereign, Kamakshi! May be eight or eight-and-a-half sovereigns. This has been granted to us by Kamakshi Herself backed by the blessings of Periyavaa. Alright, let us go out first!" She packed the chain inside the edge of her sari and hurriedly came out, forgetting to complete her fifth circumambulation.

It was one in the afternoon. Four or five people were waiting for the darshan of AcharyaL in the maTham. Meenakshi Paatti prostrated to the sage with her granddaughter and got up. Swamiji looked at her and laughed. She was confused whether to tell Swamiji about the chain or not.

Swamiji forestalled her. "Today you should have completed your panca saMkhyopacAra pradakSiNa in order. But then it was not completed because of a vastu that came to the hand of your granddaughter! That sudden delight did not allow you to do more than four pradakSiNas. You came hurriedly, thinking that Kamakshi has given you Her pUrna anugrahah. What, am I right?"
saidevo
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paatti was shocked. She became insensate, and swallowed her words as she spoke: "SwamigaL shouldn't mistake me. Once that (object) came to the hand of my granddaughter, I assumed that AmbaL Herself had dropped it for my granddaughter to take. In that sudden delight I totally fogot that I had to make one more pradakSiNa."

Periyavaa said relentlessly, "Only that you forgot. You did not forget to get the vastu weighed at Rangu Patthar's shop. Or get the severed portion melted in the furnace to rejoin." He clinched his talk with the words, "Let it go. When you weighed it, was it exactly eight sovereigns?"

Paatti and her granddaughter were stunned. "All you said now is satyam, Periyavaa!" said Paatti.

Swamiji asked her calmly, "Tell me in fairness. To whom does that padArthaH belong?"

"To AmbaL Kamakshi."

"Tell me yourself, can you take it secretly and pack it inside the edge of your sari?"

"A mistake... nothing else but a mistake! Should excuse me. I have done it inadvertently." Paatti was genuninely repenting. She placed the double-stringed sovereign chain on the brass plate that was found before Swamiji, her hands shaking. Swamiji laughed.

It was now two in the afternoon. Swamiji asked Meenakshi Paatti and her daughter to sit before him. It was at that time that Ambujam AmmaL, wife of Needamangalam Ganesa Iyer, who had taken leave in the morning, came back full of sorrow and prostrated to the sage. Her eyes were shedding tears profusely. Swamiji saw this and said affectionately, "adAdA, why do you shed tears Amma?"

Ambujam Ammal wiped her tears and replied, "It is like this, Periyavaa. Two months ago when I did the five days seva in the Kamakshi Amman temple I prayed to AmbaL earnestly that I would offer Her my eight-sovereign double-stringed chain if she united my daughter and son-in-law, who were then separated. AmbaL has united them. I went to the temple to offer my chain. It slipped from my neck and fell down somewhere. I searched everywhere anxiously but the chain could not be found. What can I do now, Periyavaa?" She started wailing.

Swamiji turned his face to Meenakshi Paatti and looked meaningfully. Paatti prostrated to him and got up briskly. She took the double-stringed sovereign chain from the brass plate before the sage in her hand. She turned to Ambujam and said holding up the chain, "Amma Ambujam. Check if this is the double-stringed chain you lost."

Ambujam took the chain from her hand and checked. "The same, the same chain, Paatti. How did it come here? Looks very wonderful!" Paatti narrated everything that happened to them in the same breath.
saidevo
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ambujam Ammal hugged Meenakshi Paatti. "Paatti, you don't worry at all! I am informing you this before our AcharyaL. I shall arrange for a new double-stringed chain in eight sovereigns for your granddaughter! Her marriage will be performed grandly. This double-stringed I have prayed to offer to AmbaL. This evening I shall take you and your granddaughter Kamakshi to the jewellery shop in this down and get her an eight-sovereign double-stringed chain. In addition, I shall give you five thousand rupees for the marriage expenses."

Swamiji was sitting as the prat^yakSa kAmAkshi, witnessing this scene. Everyone prostrated to AcharyaL. He looked at Meenakshi Paatti and said, "Today you and your granddaughter did not do the five pradakSiNas. Go in the evening, do five pradakSiNas and five prostrations, and have a darshan of AmbaL." Saying this he bid them farewell.

It is not possible to narrate in words the happiness and ecstatic shiver that Meenakshi Paatti and her granddaughter experienced at that time.

Glossary:
adAdA - (Tamil) an expression of sympathy
adede! - (Tamil) an expression of surprise indicating familiarity
ambAL - Mother Goddess
anugrahah - blessing, kindness
apacAram - offense, fault, something which contradicts Acaram or rules of conduct
arcanA - worship
besh, besh - an expression of appreciation, popular in the Brahmin community.
bhajan - hymns praising God
bhakta - devotee
closed her eyes - (Tamil) died
dampati - husband and wife
maami - (Tamil) a brahmin housewife
mukha - face, countenance
panca saMkhyopacArini - pleased by five kinds of service, honour, worship
Paatti - (Tamil) grandmother
padArthaH - a thing or object
para brahmaM - (Tamil) formless God
pArijAta puS^pam - flowers of the coral tree
pradakSiNa - on the right side, go clockwise
prat^yakSa - visible, perceptible
pUrna - complete, full, whole
rastaLi - a variety of bananas
sannidhi - the building where the deity is installed
satyam - truth
shubhasya shIghram - auspicious things quickly
SwamigaL - (Tamil) Swamiji
tejas - divine splendour
vastu- an article, object (among many other meanings)
saidevo
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Namaste,

By the immensely abundant grace and blessings of Paramacharya, Bhagavan Sri Satya Sai Baba, the reigning Holy Gurus of Kanchi SriMaTham, the Gurus of Sri Sringeri MaTham, and Sri Chandramouleesvara-sameta-Kamakshi AmbaL Herself, I have been able to complete this small seva of serving the darshan prasAdams of our beloved Paramacharya. I really wonder that a very ordinary person like me, with very little spiritual credentials should receive such huge blessings and be motivated to do a small seva. I am very happy and grateful at the same time.

Readers of KF know that I am not Sanskrit-literate (yet), so I might have misspelled several Sanskrit words and phrases in my translations. One particular word, matam crops up readily, which should have been spelled maTham as I understand now. Nevertheless, I have tried my level best to preserve the charm and flavour of the matchless original articles, the greatness of Paramacharya and the human nature of the devotees portrayed in them.

I am sure that there are many members here who could have equalled or excelled the work I have presented here. I thank the KF Administrator and the members for their kind encouragement and motivation in the task. I shall try to continue my seva as and when the occasion arises.

Our ultimate aim, in my humble opinion, should be to publish on the Web a Kanchi Paramacharya Encyclopedia, compiling all that has been written on him and taught by him. This work should be freely accessible for reading, research and reference to the entire mankind.

Regards,
saidevo
anushachennai
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sri Saidevo

Wonderful translation. One gets the same feeeling as it is read in Tamil.
There is a saying "Humility is a virtue". Now we know that humility is an essential quality for achieving a good purpose.

Namaskarams

AC
Newyorksharma
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:11 pm    Post subject: Krishna ... Reply with quote

Krishna ... My eyes swell up as I read about yet another instance of the amazing Grace of the Maha Periavaa!

Radhe Krishna, NYS

Newyorksharma
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:13 pm    Post subject: Belated thanks Reply with quote

Dear Sri Krishnan -

Belated thanks for posting the translation of an earlier posting for the Tamil challenged amongst us! I have been wanting to send you a note for some time now.

Radhe Krishna, NYS

vv
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:50 am    Post subject: unable to download files Reply with quote

Dear admin
unable to download the '50 Years of Light VCD' and '50 Years of Light Windows Media Player (small size)' files from www.kanchiforum.org ...
Please help to download
regards
vv
kanchi pittan
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: unable to download files Reply with quote

Kindly use the link below to download the file. Its arround 90 MB and that means a little bit of patience from your part.

www.kamakotidevotees.org ...

Hope this helps.

vv wrote:
Dear admin
unable to download the '50 Years of Light VCD' and '50 Years of Light Windows Media Player (small size)' files from www.kanchiforum.org ...
Please help to download
regards
vv

vv
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:20 am    Post subject: Re: unable to download files Reply with quote

Dear Kanchi pittan
Thankyou for your mail. If I click the given link, it starts to open the file. I want to save this file. For this, I looked this link www.kamakotidevotees.org ... But there is no 50yearsoflight.wmv file.
Pleasehelp
regards
vv

kanchi pittan wrote:
Kindly use the link below to download the file. Its arround 90 MB and that means a little bit of patience from your part.

www.kamakotidevotees.org ...

Hope this helps.

vv wrote:
Dear admin
Please help to download
regards
vv

Quote:
You should be able to select from File - Save as - once the entire video has been downloaded in the media player Thanks, KFA

naathigan
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sriman vv,

Alternately copy the below text in to notepad and save it as link.html. Then double click the html; this shall open the explorer. Right click on the link and select Save As. This shall start downloading the file.

Jaya Jaya Sankara Hara Hara Sankara

<html>
<BODY>
<P>VCD 50 Years of Light <A
href=" www.kamakotidevotees.org ... Click
here and choose Save As </A>.
</BODY>
</html>

saidevo
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My First Darshan: by His Holiness Sri Jayendra Sarawathi Swamiji
Compiler: Sri T.S. Kothandarama Sarma (in Tamil)
Source: Maha PeriyavaL - Darisana AnubhavangaL
Publisher: Vanathi Padhippaham

As declared in the Disclaimer posted by me elsewhere in this thread, these translations done by me are only for academic and personal use of the members of this forum. -- saidevo

When I was studying in school at Villupuram, Acharya SwamigaL was proceeding for the kumbhAbhiSekam of Kanchipuram Sri Kamakshi Amman temple. It was then that I had my first darshan of him. He said, "At least one boy from each family should study the Vedas." Accordingly, my parents prayed to him, "It is time for my son to wear the sacred thread; (Periyavaa) should arrange for the ceremony and prepare him for the Vedic studies."

Acharya SwamigaL said, "The kumbhAbhiSekam of Sri Kamakshi Amman at Kanchipuram is about to take place. You bring him there after getting him to wear the sacred thread. We shall start the Vedic lessons for this boy there." Thus he gave us his merciful blessings. This was the first meeting.

Vedic Lessons

Sri Kamakshi Amman temple kumbhAbhiSekam took place. At the next auspicious time, Sri MahaswamigaL started the shikS of Vedic lessons in the Amman sannidhi itself--where pujas are performed--through his pUrvAshrama youngest brother Sri Krishnamurthy SastrigaL.

Tiruvidaimarudur

Then he sent me to Tiruvidaimarudur. I reached Tiruvidaimarudur accompanied by my teacher Sri Krishnamurthy SastrigaL, after having darshan of Sri Nataraja Peruman at Chidambaram on the way. My parents stayed back at Villupuram.

Thirteenth Year

I studied Vedas at Tiruvidaimarudur until my thirteenth year. Acharya SwamigaL came back to Tiruvidaimarudur after completing his Kanchipuram yatrA. He stayed there for nearly a year. I was about to complete my Vedic studies. At those times, he used to inquire me about my name and place, and what I had studied until then.

One day, SwamigaL had gone to Govindapuram, a place near Tiruvidaimarudur. The samAdhi of Sri Bodhendra Saraswati, a renowned saint, is established there. It was the samAdhi of a great man who adorned the Kanchi pITham. Acharya SwamigaL used to go there often. I would also accompany SwamigaL.

On one such occasion, Acharya SwamigaL suddenly asked me one day, "Would you come to SriMaTham?" I said, "I am already coming with you!"

He said, "Not that way... Would you become--like me?"

Only then I understood the thought SwamigaL had in his mind. I told him, "I need to ask my parents." He had my parents brought from their place right away and asked their consent.

My parents informed him, "SwamigaL wanted my son to be left for pursuit of Vedic studies. We complied. Now you have the wish to admit him to SriMaTham as a SwamigaL. Your chittam is our bhAgyaM."
saidevo
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I understood that the moment Acharya SwamigaL saw me at Villupuram was the time the thought of making me a successor of this pITham first rose in his mind.

Fourteenth Year

SwamigaL decided that I should enter SriMaTham on my fourteenth year of age. So he arranged at SriMaTham for the lessons and studies I was to take up there.

All India yAtra

I took the lessons (at SriMaTham) until my seventeenth year. Thereafter, SwamigaL called me one day and directed, "Go on an all India yAtra and come back." I travelled to all the places and kSetras in India with my parents through railroad.

When I completed my eighteenth year, he said, "Be with me here for sometime" and kept me at Kanchipuram. A year passed by in this manner.

Nineteenth Year

When my nineteenth year started, Periyvaa ordained me to become a SwamigaL at Kanchipuram itself--that is, on the 22nd of March, 1954--after finishing the initial vaidika ceremonies at the Mukti Mandapam on the bank of Sarva Theertham, by giving me sannyAsa dIkSA around ten in the morning, keeping me in a standing position in the waters of the pond, and then with the mahAvAkya upadesham at Sri Viswesvarar Sannidhi.

This is how the connection I had with the elder Acharya SwamigaL brought me to SriMaTham and made me also a SwamigaL.

Denominating Me

On the previous day of my taking sannyAsa AshramaM, Acharya SwamigaL called the poets and pundits and consulted them, keeping me beside him, for a suitable name for me.

For the last five or six generations, the names Chandrasekhara and Mahadeva were denominated in this PITham alternately. The consultation was to determine if the naming should be connected to these names or be a totally different name.

I came to SriMaTham in the month of panguni. PeriyavargaL's birth day came in the following chitirai, vaikasi months. It was also the year when he completed his sixtieth year of age. The name of the year was jaya.

The jaya year comes in the panguni month itself (from the beginning of Sri Ramanavami festival) with the birth of the Telegu new year, according to the lunar calendar. In the solar calendar, it might arrive with the birth of the Tamil new year, or even fifteen, twenty days later. Under this circumstance, the name 'jaya' stuck in the memory.

69th pIThAdhipatiH

The jaya year has another distinction. It was the birth year of Sri Maha PeriyavargaL. Therefore with the name jaya as the prefix, denominating me as Jayendra Saraswathi, he made me the 69th pIThAdhipati of SriMaTham.
saidevo
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was the Telegu New Year's day in that year. They would celebrate Sri Ramanavami gloriously. With yajanaMs and pujas for ten days, Sri Rama PattabhiSekam would be celebrated eventfully. A special puja was performed in SriMaTham also. In the present larger Kanchi MaTham I was made to sit on the same place where the abhiSekam for Sri Rama on his coronation day was being performed. I was sitting at the place where the waters of ablution flew over. Periya SwamigaL ensured that when he performed the abhiSekam to Sri Rama with his own hand, the ablution waters fell on my head.

Coronation with the Divine Hands of Sri Periyavar

The day when Acharya SwamigaL with infinite mercy made the waters of ablution fall on my head was also the day when he made me the pIThAdhipati of SriMaTham. Within ten to fifteen days of my arriving at SriMaTham, PeriyavargaL coronated me immediately after Sri Rama PattabhiSekam, and on the same evening made me walk in a procession through the four raja vIthis of Kanchi. (This is known as pattina prevesam).

In other words, he gave me the full responsibility of SriMaTham within fifteen days of my arrival here.

Since Kanchipuram was in an urban area and since it attracted a large crowd, Maha SwamigaL arranged for my stay in a village called Orikkai on the banks of Palary nearby, building a large shed there and renting two houses, where I was to perform my pujas and continue my studies.

SaSTi abda pUrti

It was at that time that PeriyavargaL completed his sixtieth age. This event was known as SaSTi abda pUrti. I was fortunate to celebrate this event.

Even though he was a sanyAsin, we celebrated the completion of his sixty years of age as a holy event with the performance of special yajanaMs in the presence of Vedic pundits. I am mentioning this because he let the holy waters fall on my hand on the day of Sri Rama PattabhiSekam. And I had the fortune on his SaSti abda pUrti occasion, to conduct pujas and yajanaMs with all the water-filled holy pots and then perform abhiSekam to him with that holy water.

We thus celebrated the completion of his sixtieth year as a festival. From that day he kept me with him and trained me in all the affairs, such as our joint studies, our pujas and the MaTham administration. Until the year 1970, I was beside him doing everything, until the night time.

From the year 1970, he wanted to remain in solitude and lived in an Ashramam erected either inside temples or on the banks of temple ponds.
saidevo
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After 1976, until 1980, for four years he undertook a solitary yAtra throughout Tamilnadu, Andhra Pradesh and Maharashtra. When I met him at Satara in the year 1980, I prayed to him, "You are getting old. I request you not to undertake solitary yAtras any more. Please come back." Accordingly, he reached Kanchipuram in the year 1983.

70th pIThAdhipatiH

In the meantime, it was difficult for me to take care of the pujas and the administration of the MaTham single-handedly. Therefore, with the permission of PeriyavargaL, I coronated Bala PeriyavargaL as the 70th pIThAdhipatiH of Sri Kamakoti PITham, on Sunday, the 29th of May 1983 at 5:30 hours in the morning, giving him sannyAsa dIkSA in the holy pond waters of Sri Kamakshi Amman temple. With Bala Periyavar as a shiSh^yaH on our side, I went to Kurnool, where all the three of us stayed and conducted the Vyasa Puja for our chatur mAsya vrata anuSTAnam. Thereafter, we came back to Kanchipuram, bringing PeriyavargaL with us.

From then on, he stayed at SriMaTham and was giving out his grace and blessings to everyone. A large difference is there between the pIThAdhipatis of other maThams and the position of PeriyavargaL. In addition to sitting on the pITham as pIThAdhipatiH and giving out blessings, he had the honour of participating in the numerous joys and sorrows of individual men's life, blessing them and elevating them in their life.

This is the reason that many are sobbing and worried, feeling his absence, even today. They are grieving for having lost a person in their family.

Had he been a general pIThAdhipatiH it would have been an ordinary thing. But then, since he was merged with the life of thousands of individuals, all of them had their mental agony, and his loss is felt all over the country. This is a special honour that is not had by any other pIThAdhipatiH.

Guide

Since I was with him, those habits have also formed in me. I was motivated to mingle with people, feel the sufferings of the oppressed and the downtrodden, and do the good that is required for them. PeriyavargaL is the guide for this work, which I am doing now, remaining and growing in the path shown by him.

Whatever he did, he used to say was his saMkalpaH. saMkalpaH, that is, what is thought in mind is known as icChA shakti. He was thus the icChA shakti, the saMkalpah mUrti. I showed myself as the kriyA shakti, the power of action. This was the state between the two of us.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums @ KanchiForum.org Forum Index -> Devotees' Experiences All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: